Stellar Community Meetup: Guidelines
Thanks for your interest in starting a Stellar meetup in your city. Events and meetups around the world are instrumental in furthering Stellar’s mission, driving new thoughts and ideas into the Stellar ecosystem, and helping to foster a strong sense of community, no matter where you happen to reside.
Let’s get started!Please use this page as a guide for starting a meetup in your city. We will work to improve this page over time based on your feedback so please do not hesitate to let us know if there is something missing. We encourage and fully support Stellar branded community meetups, which is why we have put together the following documentation to help guide you:
- Designate 2-3 other Stellar community members to help you with the event logistics, setup and promotion.
- Utilize Stellar’s online channels (Slack, Twitter, et. all) to find other local/regional owners that can get involved and help with the meetup.
- Most importantly, make sure you have the time to take on the responsibility of leading the group. We’ve found that successful meetup groups have consistent, local leadership and representation.
- Specify the intended audience and focus of the group: Is this for developers, those interested in blockchain or digital money, financial access and/or financial education? Make sure that people know what they are signing up for!
- Once you’ve decided on an audience, create an agenda that would be interesting to attendees. If this is the first meetup in your city, consider as an initial agenda item a discussion around the goal or focus of the group. This way you get buy-in and feedback early on from the community.
- Use the Meetup.com platform for user groups and name it Stellar.org-[city]
- Make sure the meetup is not competing with other events and conferences in your area by checking meetup.com’s calendar for similar events, and Googling around to see if there are other major gatherings in your area on that day.
- Select an accessible venue in a central area to your city when possible. Take a look at hosting these at companies, incubator spaces, co-working spaces or other communal venues that would be interested in hosting. Other factors to consider:
- Price (free is always the best price!)
- How much space will you need?
- Is it too loud or too quiet for the meetup?
- Create a new group listing or request us to add one for you by contacting the Stellar team at [email protected] once you have most of the details finalized for the event. We will make sure you are listed on the official Stellar event section of our website and help you promote the event through our community channels.
- Promote your event on social media and use #Stellarorg or @Stellarorg and make sure to have other community members spread the word once they join the group.
- During the event, encourage people to post pictures and videos with the hashtags so the Stellar community can follow along and get involved.
- Please use approved Stellar assets and logos available to download on our community page.
- If you would like any presentation materials, one-sheets or any other documentation, please email us and we will send a link for you to download and distribute.
- *For each event you host, we will provide you with invites for lumens for all new attendees at your meetup.
Finally, when your meetup is over, please send us pictures, videos and feedback on how it went. We want to be your partner in making your meetup as successful as possible so your feedback is welcomed and appreciated. We look forward to working with you!